When it comes to healthy diets and weight-loss diets, potatoes are often labeled as a "bad guy". However, research recently released by the United States Potato Board (USPB) shows that potatoes can be a healthy part of a weight loss diet and shouldn't be relegated to the “do not eat” list. The study was conducted by the University of California, Davis, and the National Center for Food Safety and Technology, Illinois Institute of Technology with the goal of gaining a better understanding of the role of potatoes in weight loss. The research was based on an extensive study in which 86 overweight men and women were monitored over the course of 12 weeks. The subjects were divided into three groups:
· High glycemic index foods with a 500 kcal/day deficit
· Low glycemic index foods with a 500 kcal/day deficit
· Basic adherence to the U.S. Dietary Guidelines and the Food Guide Pyramid
All three groups ate between 5-7 potatoes per week and all three groups lost weight.
The conclusion of the study? Eating potatoes seemed to aid in weight loss even for those without a conscious calorie restriction. This confirms what health professionals and nutrition experts have said for years: when it comes to weight loss, it is not about eliminating a certain food or food groups, rather, it is reducing calories that counts.
To demonstrate how to include potatoes as part of a healthy diet, the USPB released a new recipe for Quick & Healthy Chili and Lime Potato Tacos. They are delicious and at only 250 calories and 7 grams of fat per serving, you can reinstate taco night guilt-free! This recipe, as well as many other healthy potato recipes, can be found online at www.PotatoGoodness.com in the searchable recipe database.
Potato Nutrition Facts:
- One medium-size potato (5.3 ounces) has just 110 calories and is absolutely fat free
- This darling of the dinner table provides 45% of your daily value of vitamin C
- When eaten with the skin, potatoes have more potassium than a banana
- On average, a potato costs 25 cents – now that’s nutrition on a budget!
To enter, just visit www.PotatoGoodness.com and then come back and fill out the form below letting us know your favorite recipe you found there.
To tweet about the giveaway, you can use: RT @ThriftyJinxy Enter the Jinxy Knows Best #giveaway to win a swag bag from the United States Potato Board. http://bit.ly/m95ECj Please RT!
Extra entries: Be sure to fill out the form again for each extra entry.
- Subscribe via e-mail (see upper right hand corner).
- Follow me in Google Friend Connect, Facebook, Twitter, Networked Blogs or RSS feed. (Leave name you follow with.)
- Blog about this giveaway (5 extra entries).
- Share this giveaway through Twitter, Facebook or Stumble. (Leave link in comments.)
- Leave a comment on a non-giveaway post or on Facebook.
- Rate Jinxy Knows Best on Alexa.
Disclosure: I received sample swag bag for review. Any opinions expressed above are my own.
** Congrats to our winner - Kermit C **